It always bothered me that the name of that 4 Non Blondes song is “What’s Up?” and not “What’s Goin’ On?” Do they actually say “what’s up?” at any point in the song. Anyway, here’s what’s been going on with me these days.
- Got back from a trip to Washington, D.C. this week. I finally met up with the always fantastic @xolondon while I was there after 7 years of e-mails and Twitter exchanges. He holds the honor of being the one to really break me on Hard Candy. Henceforth, it shall be known as the Stale Candy. We hit many monuments and museums and did A LOT of walking. According to the pedometer app on my phone, I walked 50 miles during the time I was there – 10.2 miles on the first day alone! My parents came along as well and that was fun, and it was especially fun to take Anna to D.C. when she was old enough to appreciate it but before she was old enough to turn up the exasperation to 10 and say “ugh, family vacation!” This was my favorite photo I took while there. It was at the Vietnam Veteran’s Memorial Wall. My dad found the names of several friends that died in Vietnam, and Anna helped him out.
- We lost our cat of nearly 10 years, Sidney, this week to the trifecta of cardiomegaly, hyperthyroidism and end stage renal disease. It was sad to let him go – he was a cat that loved to be spanked and never missed a basket of unfolded laundry. Under normal circumstances, we probably would have a new cat already since our house abhors a cat vacuum (and only in our house can there be 3 cats in a cat vacuum), but that’s just not in the cards this week because …
- Heidi heads under the knife next week – total abdominal hysterectomy and salpingo-oopherectomy, as well as the excision of a large amount of endometrial tissue – and while she will take a while recovering from that, we are cautiously optimistic that this may very well be the answer to health questions that have plagued her for nearly a decade. Tonight while I was doing the dishes, the Tracey Thorn song “Hormones” came on. It always gets me whenever I listen to it – I’m hard pressed to think of a better song about parenting a teenage girl than that one, but it has extra meaning with Heidi’s upcoming surgery.
- The title may be the most pretentious thing I’ve heard in forever, but Me…I Am Mariah…The Elusive Chanteuse contains not one but TWO great Mariah songs. This is great Mariah songs than there have been in the last several years. Check out “Meteorite” and “You Don’t Know What To Do.” The latter would be better without the rapper, but Mariah is always ruining her songs with dumb rappers.
- For some reason, I’m 42 years old and I’m breaking out like I’m in high school. This graphic I saw online summed up my feelings perfectly.
That’s about all I have. I have some ideas for upcoming posts. Let’s see if my life cooperates.